Working as ServiceNow Administrator is probably way easier than you imagined
Before we dive in and go into the specifics it is important to know what a ServiceNow System Administrator is responsible for on a daily basis. What better way to achieve this than looking at a job description?
Random LinkedIn Job opening:
- Configuration of the ServiceNow system including creating workflows;
- Load, normalize and maintain consistent data between ServiceNow and other systems;
- Ensure integrations between SNOW and other systems are implemented correctly;
- Perform system and integration testing with sample and live data;
- Monitor health, usage and overall compliance of the platform;
- Manage and resolve incidents against ServiceNow applications;
- Perform routine maintenance (performance monitoring, error identification and remediation);
- Manage Instance Security, User/Group Access/Access Control Lists;
- Ensure entries for Configuration Management Database are complete and accurate;
- Provide support for SNOW user community globally;
- Create and maintain training materials and provide functional training and support for SNOW users
- Maintain documentation of configurations and changes;
- Responsible for access control, security, minor enhancements such as form or workflow editing;
- Responsible for the integrity of data held within ServiceNow including users, locations, configuration items, service catalog items;
- Fulfill regular SNOW audits requests and resolve identified findings;
- Work on continuous enhancement of SNOW applications and processes;
- Interact with users and management to identify enhancement needs and work with project team to prioritize and implement;
- Advise on impact of systems changes/alterations and advise accordingly;
- Interact with software vendors regarding implementation and/or issues;
- Coordinate service, process, and procedure rollouts, track and report progress on adoption;
- Provide support to Management on Dashboards and Reports as needed;
- Define, design and run regular and ad-hoc reports/queries for IT;
- Use available tools to empower users to run established reports/queries;
- Develop metrics, reports and dashboards that can be used to measure effectiveness and efficiency of processes and systems.
"Catches a deep breath"
The requirements might seem overwhelming but in reality, if you would play around with the tool for a couple of days you would master at least half of the requirements making you a suitable candidate.
It is no longer a secret that you do not have to meet all the requirements and everybody knows that in fact, it could be a serious setback as the recruiter can think that you are “overqualified” for the job can be easily bored since you already know how to do all the stuff.
If you are using LinkedIn you can run some numbers and see for yourself how many ServiceNow System Administrator job openings are available and prepare to be amazed.
"Practice Makes perfect" - Julie James
If you would know that practicing just 2 hours per day for a total of 2 weeks could get you a nice paying job, would you do it?
I bet you would, after all, who wouldn’t? It is literally that easy and in addition of being easy owning a ServiceNow instance is free of charge
Of course there can be shortcuts for this journey and I mean shortcuts in a good way because following a well structured ServiceNow System Administrator can make your life way easier.
The ServiceNow System Administrator from 0 to hero has been built on a real scenario and includes theory plus demonstrations for the same so there is nothing really to debate, it is great for beginners and good for those who need a refreshment.
ITIL and ITSM
Getting to work and master the ServiceNow activities should take you very little time, we already agreed on that but in order to maximize your chances for a successful interview you would need some insights on ITIL best practices at a high level and the IT Service Management (ITSM) Processes.
For this, we recommend the ITSM Processes applied in ServiceNow Course.
Same as the previous course, the entire structure is based on real life scenarios and focuses on personas, theory, process diagrams and demonstrations.
The Certification is marked as optional for this job as you can certainly get a job without the certification but sooner or later it will be required to either advance in your career or move to another company.